Top 5 Exercises Before Starting Personal Training
At the beginning of each new year, many people start thinking about getting a Personal Trainer to get in shape. Before you jump into any program, here are the top 5 exercises to start things off right and avoid hurting yourself:
1. Lie on your back with one hand under your lower back and one on your abdomen. Take a breath in with your abdomen and while you breathe out, slowly tighten your abdomen and lower back, but DON’T FLATTEN your lower back. Hold for 8-10 seconds. Repeat 10-12 times. For more of a challenge, lift one leg off the table. (Click image to enlarge)
2. Lie on your back with one hand under your lower back and cross one leg over the other, resting your ankle on the opposite thigh. Hold your ankle with your hand. Lift your opposite leg off the table and hold the stretch in your hip for 3-4 seconds while tightening your abdomen and lower back. Repeat 10-12 times each side. (Click image to enlarge)
3. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and arms up facing forward. “Sit back” or squat using your hips NOT your knees. Keep your chest and upper body upright. Hold at the bottom for 3-4 seconds. Return to neutral. Repeat 10-12 times. (Click image to enlarge)
4. Stand facing a wall with your forearms against the wall and your thumbs facing backwards. Hold a small band tightly between each hand. Turn your hands outwards and hold for 3-4 seconds. Return to neutral. Repeat 10-12 times. (Click image to enlarge)
5. Resting on your knees and hands, raise one arm and place your hand behind your neck with your elbow facing out. Keep your lower back tight and push your shoulder blades down. Slowly rotate your elbow toward the ceiling while keeping your hand on the back of your neck. Hold for 3-4 seconds. Return to neutral. Repeat 10-12 times each side. (Click image to enlarge)
Do these exercises prior to every session to properly prepare yourself and avoid injuries.
Find out more about our clinically-supervised personal training using our Corrective Motion program that combines therapy and fitness to train your body to move properly, improve stability, build strength and relieve pain.
Every one of our personal training sessions is clinically-supervised to ensure you get the best support and fitness program that is right for you.